Thursday, May 14, 2009

The turns of life

Well, I originally started to experiment with blogs to understand how they could be used in learning and to keep a record of my journey through life. But I never really caught the bug so to speak. But I think that possibly if I used it to record my PhD process and to blog about my passion which is prison, then I might actually use it!

Since my last blog ages and ages ago (feels like a lifetime!) I have embarked on prison research, initially for my honours thesis in adult and vocational education. My title was 'Learning on the Inside in Risdon Prison'. This research has led to me starting a non profit organisation www.australianprisonfoundation.webs.com and now we are working on the first National Conference on Australian Prison Issues for October 21st, 2009 at Deakin University, Melbourne www.prisonissuesconference.webs.com.

We ran a successful competition on prisoner library services and would like to create resources to send to prisons in Australia to encourage prisoners to use their library. Our new campaign is focussed on indigenous imprisonment www.16times.webs.com.

I have also been invited to talk about my research at the Australian Critical Criminology Conference in Melbourne http://arts.monash.edu.au/psi/news-and-events/critical-criminology/index.php which I am really excited about.

My PhD will focus on stakeholder perspectives of prisoner learning.

No comments: